Tasty Thursdays: Louis' Lunch

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Instead of a recipe this week, I'd like to tell you about this place called Louis' Lunch. My uncle drove to Connecticut and he happened to stop by there. Louis' Lunch were the ones who started making hamburgers in America!

They were established in 1885, and the story goes like this: "One day in 1900, a gentleman hurriedly walked into Louis' Lunch and told proprietor Louis Lassen he was in a rush and wanted something he could eat on the run. In an instant, Louis placed his own blend of ground steak trimmings between two slices of toast and sent the gentleman on his way. And so, the most recognizable American sandwich was born."
I requested a plain burger; my uncle came back to New York the same night so I was able to try it. I was surprised it was still on toasted bread instead of a hamburger bun. I'm not sure whether or not it was because I didn't eat it right away or if it was already like that, but it was a bit dry. I added more ketchup, which seemed to do the trick. Overall, it wasn't so bad but it wasn't the best burger I've tasted.
Although they do claim that the Travel Channel picked them as the Tastiest Place to Chowdown in America as well as having the Tastiest Burger.

restaurant images from Louis' Lunch

Follow Audrey Allure.

23 comments :

  1. Very interesting! I didn't know that! The place is so cute!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like such a charming place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very charming and picturesque indeed. great story too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute place! Too bad your burger wasn't more tasty. Oh well, probably worth a try for the history if nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the aesthetic of this restaurant. It has this old-time charm to it that I adore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's interesting. I'm always curious to hear about the Food Network & Travel Channels picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where is my piece? hahah
    Love the place.. I am already thinking about a photoshoot.. LOL
    lee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm. Sounds like a great place to grab a bite to eat and hang out with friends!!!


    xoxo,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting story, but I agree -- I don't know if it looks like the best burger I've ever seen.
    xo Josie
    www.winksmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fantastic!

    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way! Hmmm... I would probably look at the Travel Channel website to verify.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh i want to go there!

    x
    http://artfashiontwentysomething.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That place looks kind of medieval inside ;)
    so pretty!
    xoxo
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought it was a sandwich at first and the place looks so cozy and pretty! As always, love the songs on your blog! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess that's the way the burgers were served in the first place. That's so interesting and the place has so much history!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cool!! The restaurant is absolutely adorable and I love the historical aspect. I think it is awesome that this little restaurant became the birth place of hamburgers! I had no idea they were first created on toast! What an odd concept.

    I can imagine how the original burger would taste a little lackluster to the amazing hamburgers many restaurants have today. But still, pretty freaking cool you got to try the original recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so cute, it looks so welcoming.

    -B

    ReplyDelete
  18. That place looks so very awesome! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful place for having a great time for eating :D

    xx

    have a nice weekend :D

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks great. I love places with lots of history as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like an interesting spot! Different how they put the burger on bread like that.

    ReplyDelete