Fitness Fridays: DMF Class

Friday, March 08, 2013

First post for Fitness Fridays! This new series, I'll talk about fitness/health and share a little bit on my own progress.

Right now, I am happy with my body and my weight. So my goal is to stay fit and and be more toned -- hopefully I can reach that point of seeing some abs! I haven't had the chance to take some proper photos of my body now, but from my [recent post] wearing this daring dress, you can pretty much see where it's at. Not only toning, but I'd also like to be able to run for awhile without running out of breath.

Aki of 7% Solution suggested I make this series a link up. I'll definitely create something and start it next week (to give you time to create your posts!) You can post about anything related to fitness or health - whether it be recipes, your personal opinions on the subject, your progress, trends, etc.  -- I'll love it if you can join me! xo
So, a couple of weeks ago, I joined in on Lindi's Dance Motivation Fitness [DMF] class. It was incredibly fun, infusing dance and fitness together - creating a friendly, enjoyable atmosphere. It doesn't matter if you're a pro or a beginner (like me), the dance steps are pretty easy to follow. At the end of the day, it doesn't even matter if you're two steps behind or circling the wrong way (yikes, like I did a couple of times, haha), it was still quite an energetic workout. Since I'm just beginning to get into the workout routine, I did sit out on one song to catch my breath, but joined in again right after. My body definitely felt the satisfying soreness the next day.

My favorite part? The music, of course! There was a variety of sounds including Calvin Harris, Bruno Mars, Pitbull, Beyonce, Diana Ross, One Direction, Gloria Estefan, Stevie Wonder, Six Mix a Lot, Michael Franti & Spearhead, and the Ying Yang Twins.

Lindi Duesenberg, the amazing instructor of DMF, has worked and studied with some of the best in the business and has performed in music videos, industrials, and musical theatre productions and tours around the country. Here is a little Q&A:

How long does it take for you to choreograph a class and what is your process like?
As for choreographing a class: I start with the music. I put together a playlist of songs that captures a wide array of genres and tempos. I usually listen to each song many, many times to memorize where the "builds" are and really feel comfortable with the dynamics of the of that particular song. From there, I come up with basic sequences that are appropriate to the song. For instance, we are doing an MC Hammer song, there will definitely be some running man! For some of the newer pop songs, I will try to incorporate a couple of moves from the music video so clients can really feel as if they are a part of it. You saw this with Beyonce's "End of Time" on Tuesday. The process happens ALL the time! I'm listening to music wherever I go, trying to figure out great tunes and moves for class. 

Do you have a different work out routine set up for every class/week/month? How often does it change?
I change it up every week, but you might hear a few of people's "favorite" songs a few weeks in a row. It really depends. But it definitely changes up week to week.

What are some of your favorite moments teaching this class?
My favorite part of teaching DMF is seeing people let go and just feel HAPPY. Movement--especially dancing--has a way of freeing people of stress and tension, especially if they can let go of feeling silly. I try to foster an environment that focuses on what you feel like and not what you look like. I also choose music and "moves" that people recognize or that brings about a funny memory or association. For example, this week we did Sir Mix-A-Lot, and I did a dance similar to the one on the Fresh Prince of Bell Air. Laughing is good for the soul!
I have a passion for motivation (I put the word in my company name for a reason!!), so motivating and inspiring clients to accomplish their goals and achieve happiness in their lives is important to me. It is important that DMF be more than just a great workout experience, but also a platform for spreading inspiration, joy and positivity. You can see this on my Facebook Page and twitter profile :)

Would you try a dance/fitness class?
Remember, I'll be starting a Fitness Fridays link up next Friday! xo

Follow me on: Bloglovin' | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram: audreyallure

43 comments :

  1. This sounds like such a fun class! Dance classes are the best for exercising; they're so fun.
    xo Josie
    www.winksmilestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so much fun! I think I'll do a post for next week. I'm so happy you took my idea. =)

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Great going :) Im on my weight loss mission too, started just a week ago still a long way to go. Keep us posted <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow you!
    Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be so glad :D
    Kisses
    http://francescagiusti.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, absolutely! Except Zumba, I don't like that. But I love dance-based workouts and this looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of fitness being fun!


    XX,
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for ways to get more toned so I'll def be back next Friday for the link up!

    Come enter my Jewelry Giveaway!
    http://www.ohtobeamuse.com/2013/03/giveaway-lauralina-collection.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound like a fun class!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post!
    Love group fitness classes ~ I am a yoga and Pilates instructor ;)

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's awesome that you ladies will be doing a fitness link up. fabulous interview! those kind of classes can be so much fun and supportive.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic!!! Oh i need this in my life, dancing is joy, it bring life into your soul.
    great post
    kisses...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would totally got to a dance fitness class! This looks so fun!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am looking forward to this new series!

    I have been getting back into lifting weights recently and I forgot how much I love it! I used to lift a lot when I was on the volleyball team wayyy back in high school/middle school.
    and running without dying would be nice too :)
    keep it up, girl!
    the class sounds amazingly fun by the way! Good music makes all the difference!

    xoxoxo

    <3 Yeasol from theferrytale

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that looks like a blast! I'm always on the look out for new work outs because I get bored really easily. The music is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love fitness:) that;s so fun i love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. that class looks really fun, i'd go. And there's still time to enter my I ♥ Makeup giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to join a class like this, it sounds high impact and so much fun! Thanks for your kind visit hun....Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i will really need a motivation to go to the gym
    thanks for the sweet and lovely comments dear.

    xx

    selvia

    am2pmchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. ahhh that moment when you stepped out of the shower and while wrapping your hair with the towel you've noticed that loosy floosy in your arms. I had those moments lately and I have been searching for fitness class to join. This post is very motivating...thanks for sharing dear.

    Kisses - Bex

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of the keys to fitness is definitely finding something that you enjoy! I tend to go running for my workouts with intermittent kettle bell workouts. Can't wait for spring to arrive so I can do more outdoor running!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely would love to start some kind of dance fitness class, get in shape for summer!

    A little bit Unique

    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. In France we have the same thing approximatively and i like it a lot :)


    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com

    Coline ♡

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is really positive. I would like to get back into running myself actually.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks like fun and it's always good to do some sport :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I workout at home, by myself, but I do love the idea of joining a class. It seems like it would make the whole ordeal of working out a lot more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. sounds like a lot of fun - better than working out at home!

    www.novelave.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That seems super cool!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love fitness <3 <3 <3
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like a fun class!! my goal is to keep my weight and fit as well!!!

    http://cokarabbit.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love exercise that doesn't feel like exercise! haha... I would definitely try this class.
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  31. Music is SO important for me to stay motivated! This class looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Audrey,

    Looks like a fun class and hope you enjoy.

    Happy weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  33. i would but i'm sososososo shy!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so looking forward to this series! I've been really concentrating on getting fit as well and I'm excited to see your insights!

    ReplyDelete